Saturday, June 26

Steve McQueen...king of cool

I'm sitting here watching the 50th anniversary showing of "The Magnificent Seven" on AMC. Shit, I was 15 years old, horny, and in love with motorcycles when this movie came out. Steve McQueen was riding his motorcycle with Bud Ekins out of Buds shop in Van Nuys. Bud had the greatest collection of pre-WW2 motorcycles in his back room (Harleys, boardtrackers, Indians, etc.) Steve was cool, he was "the man". He also did most of the stunts in "The Great Escape" with Bud doing the final jump sequence in the movie. I only wish I would have tried to get a bike then (I was too young) but I knew a guy that had a 650 Triumph, and, well he was cool. That was the first bike I ever popped a clutch and killed a motor on. Cool. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment